Expedia “#DiscoverMoreTexas” Sweepstakes Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Information on how to enter, the prizes and rules for redeeming the prizes form part of the Official Rules of entry for the Sweepstakes. Participation in the Sweepstakes is deemed acceptance of these “Official Rules” and any other notices referenced herein.
In these Official Rules, the term "you" refers to the any person who enters, or who wishes to enter, the Sweepstakes.
1. Eligibility: The Expedia “#DiscoverMoreTexas” Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the United States and District of Columbia, excluding residents of the state of Texas, who are at least eighteen (18) years old or older at the time of entry. Employees of Expedia, Inc. (“Expedia”); Texas Office of the Governor, Economic Development and Tourism; and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, prize suppliers and advertising/promotion agencies, design agencies, and anyone connected with the development, production, execution or distribution of this Sweepstakes, as well as the immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings, and children and each of their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and persons living in the same household, whether or not related, of such employees, are not eligible to enter or win.
2. Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Expedia, Inc., 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004 (“Sponsor”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules: By entering, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Sweepstakes Period: The Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 am Pacific Time (“PT”) on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 and ends at 11:59 pm PT on Monday, June 25 , 2018 (the “Entry Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
Post a tweet or a re-tweet that includes the hashtags #DiscoverMoreTexas and #Sweepstakes from https://discovermoretexas.expedia.com to receive one (1) entry (each, an “Entry”) in the Entry Period.
You may also enter the Sweepstakes by entering your full name and email address at https://discovermoretexas.expedia.com to receive one (1) Entry in the Entry Period.
By Tweeting your Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to the Submission Requirements as defined below (“Submission Requirements”) and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify you from the Sweepstakes if it believes that your Entry fails to conform to the Submission Requirements.
Standard text messaging, data and/or other rates apply to participants who submit a Tweet via a wireless mobile device. Wireless service providers may charge for airtime and/or data in relation to each standard text message sent and received. Please contact your service provider for pricing and service plan information and rates before mobile device participation.
There is a limit of one (1) Entry per person via Twitter and one (1) Entry per person via the microsite at https://discovermoretexas.expedia.com during the Entry Period for a maximum of two (2) Entries per person throughout the Entry Period. Entries will not be acknowledged. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same Twitter account. If you attempt to obtain more than two (2) Entries by using multiple/different Twitter accounts, identities, registrations, or logins, or through any other methods, Sponsor may exclude you from participating in the Sweepstakes. Participation is subject to Sponsor’s Terms of Service available at https://www.expedia.com/p/info-other/legal.htm. When you enter, you are providing information to Sponsor. No purchase necessary.
Note: All entries will have an equal chance of winning. Your answers to the provided game questions will not increase or decrease your chances of winning the prize.
6. Submission Requirements: BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, YOU AGREE THAT THE POST (AND EACH INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT THEREOF – INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, A PHOTO IF INCLUDED) COMPLIES WITH ALL CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE RULES. THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL BEAR NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER REGARDING THE USE OF YOUR ENTRY OR ANY COMPONENT THEREOF – INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE PHOTO IF INCLUDED. THE RELEASED PARTIES SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY YOU IN THE EVENT IT IS SUBSEQUENTLY DISCOVERED THAT YOU HAVE DEPARTED FROM OR NOT FULLY COMPLIED WITH ANY OF THESE RULES.
By participating in the Sweepstakes, each entrant hereby warrants and represents that any Post he/she submits:
• if not re-posting, that Post is original to him/her;
• does not violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation;
• the account will need to be made public to see the specific hashtag;
• will not give rise to any claims whatsoever, including, without limitation, claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity, or infringe on any rights and/or interests of any third party; and
• is not defamatory, trade libelous, pornographic or obscene, and further that it will not contain, depict, include, discuss or involve, without limitation, any of the following: nudity; alcohol/drug consumption or smoking; explicit or graphic sexual activity, or sexual innuendo; crude, vulgar or offensive language and/or symbols; derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual, religious or other groups (including, without limitation, any competitors of Sponsor); personal information of individuals, including, without limitation, names, telephone numbers and addresses (physical or electronic); commercial messages, comparisons or solicitations for products or services other than products of Sponsor; any identifiable third party products, trade-marks, brands and/or logos, other than those of Sponsor); conduct or other activities in violation of these Rules; and/or any other comment that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion.
The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, at any time and for any reason to screen any Post(s). Any Post that the Sponsor deems, in its sole and absolute discretion, to violate the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules is subject to disqualification. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion at any time and for any reason, to request an entrant to modify, edit and/or re-submit his or her Post in order to ensure that the Post complies with these Rules, or for any other reason. If such an action is necessary at any point during or after the Sweepstakes, then the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take whatever action it deems necessary based on the circumstances – including, without limitation, disqualifying the Post (and therefore the corresponding Entry and/or the associated entrant).
Uploading an Entry constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display, such entries in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, entrant will sign any documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Entry. Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Entries; all of which will be void.
7. Drawing: On or about Wednesday, 27 June, 2018, in London, England, United Kingdom at Expedia Office, Block 1, Angel Square, London, EC1V 1NS, Sponsor or its agent will select one (1) potential winner in a random drawing of all entries received during the Entry Period. The odds of being selected depend on the number of entries received.
8. Sponsor’s Rights to Entries: By entering the Sweepstakes and submitting an Entry, each entrant: (i) without limiting the Twitter Rules, grants to the Sponsor, in perpetuity, a non-exclusive license to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use his/her Entry (and each component thereof), in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Sweepstakes or for any other reason; (ii) waives all moral rights in and to his/her Entry (and each component thereof) in favor of the Sponsor; and (iii) agrees to release and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses arising from use of his/her Entry (or any component thereof), including, without limitation, any claim based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related or other cause of action whatsoever. For greater certainty and the avoidance of any doubt, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and at any time, to disqualify any Entry (or any component thereof) if a complaint is received with respect to the Entry, or for any other reason. If such an action is necessary at any point during or after the Sweepstakes, then the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take whatever action it deems necessary based on the circumstances – including, without limitation, disqualifying the Entry and/or the associated entrant.
9. Notification and Requirements of Potential Winner: Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. Potential winner will be notified via direct message on Twitter or via the email address used to enter the Sweepstakes and will be asked to respond to provide their full name, telephone number (including area code), date of birth, mail and/or email address (if not already provided), and may be required to complete a Declaration of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law) and any other documents required by Sponsor which must be returned within five (5) days of the date appearing on the prize notification. In order to receive a direct message from Sponsor, you must (a) be following @Expedia and (b) have your account settings set to “unprotected” and/or “public.” If a potential Prize winner: (a) fails to return the properly executed Sweepstakes documents within the specified time; (b) cannot accept (or is unwilling to accept) the Prize (as awarded) for any reason; and/or (c) is determined to be in violation of these Official Rules (all as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion); then he/she may, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor, be disqualified (and, if disqualified, will forfeit all rights to the Prize) and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and time permitting, to randomly select an alternate eligible entrant from among the remaining eligible Entries submitted and received during the applicable Entry Period (in which case the foregoing provisions of this section shall apply to such newly selected potential Prize winner). Such newly selected potential winner will be notified by direct message on Twitter within one (1) business day of the drawing, using the contact details provided by that person when entering the Sweepstakes. Only two (2) alternate entrants will be contacted for the prize. Unclaimed prizes may not be awarded.
10. Prize: One (1) winner will receive a prize that consists of a trip for two (2) people to winner’s city of choice in Texas. Prize includes: round trip economy class airfare from the major commercial airport that is nearest to the winner’s home and hotel accommodations. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of prize: up to $1,000.00 USD although the actual retail value may vary depending on the point of departure, travel itinerary, and costs of air transportation at the time of award. Any difference between stated value and actual value will not be awarded.
The prize may only be redeemed by the winner himself/herself plus one (1) guest chosen by winner and the winner and his/her guest may be required to present personal identification documents at check in to prove their identity.
Travel must be booked by Friday 31 August, 2018 and must take place between Friday 29 June, 2018 and Friday 28 June, 2019 or the prize will be forfeited. The prize is subject to availability of flights on the winner’s preferred dates. Sponsor will work with winner to book travel. Re-bookings are not allowed. The value of the booking is not refundable. Booking is subject to certain terms and conditions as specified by issuer.
A major credit card will be required at check in to cover any incidental charges. No cancellation of reservation or transfer of reservation to another date after reservation has been made.
Winner and his/her guest must travel together on the same itinerary and are responsible for obtaining any required necessary documentation (i.e., valid passport, visas, etc.) prior to travel. Guest must be of legal age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence (and at least 18), unless the child or legal ward of a winner, and must sign a liability/publicity release prior to issuance of travel documents. If guest is child or legal ward of a winner, winner must sign and return release on behalf of such child or legal ward. The prize is not transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash.
Certain blackout dates and travel restrictions may apply. Winner is responsible for paying any applicable federal, state, local, income and withholding taxes, if any, and any and all other costs and expenses not listed herein as being provided, including but not limited to any transportation to or from the departure airport, all ground transportation, luggage fees, hotel accommodations not identified above, activities, meals and beverages, hotel incidentals, souvenirs and gratuities. In the event that any tax withholding is required by law for a prize, each winner authorizes Sponsor to make the corresponding deduction. Air travel is: Non Endorsement, Non Changeable and Non Refundable. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Sponsor or prize providers will not be liable for any expenses incurred as a consequence of flight cancellations or delays. Sponsor or prize providers will not be liable for any airline and/or hotel fees incurred as a consequence of changing or cancelling flight and/or hotel reservations. Sponsor or prize providers will not replace any lost or stolen prizes or prize components. A winner may not transfer, assign or substitute a prize, or redeem a prize for cash, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value and the Prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other vouchers, offers or discounts. No reward miles will be awarded for travel on the Promotion prize flights or hotel stay. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the prize (or any portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value. Prizes are awarded “as is” without any warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Sponsor. The prize is subject to and the winner must abide by the prize providers’ terms and conditions of booking, of carriage for the flights and of stay for the hotel.
11. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the operation of the Sweepstakes, violates these Official Rules, or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
12. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor; Texas Office of the Governor, Economic Development and Tourism; and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Sweepstakes; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) errors in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; or (e) injury (including, without limitation, death) or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Sweepstakes, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
14. Disputes: You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of Washington. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Washington, including its choice of laws provision.
15. Results: To request a winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Expedia, Inc., 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004. Requests must be received within four (4) weeks of the end of the Entry Period.